Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Muffin Meme

Oatmeal and yogurt muffins

It's official - muffins are the new meme. This oatmeal and yogurt muffin recipe is whizzing around the globe. I saw it at Charlotte's Web in Germany, she got it from bindi nestor in Australia, who has also send it winging to other parts of the globe. The baking bug has grabbed everyone, fettered them to their stoves and turned mothers into evil witches cackling with glee, as they watch their children tucking in:

"Haha! you’re eating oatmeal, oatmeal and plain white yogurt, and you don’t even know it"quoted verbatim from Charlottes Web..except for the evil witch bit, added by an over-active imagination.

Here is the recipe at epossums. It has been documented with chocolate chips by Charlotte, coconut and strawberries in bindi's latest batch and I tried it with banana and cinnamon, which was all that I had available, that the kids would conceivably eat. I didn't want to alienate them by adding raisins - its just so labour intensive picking them all out again, for the poor dears. So to give the muffin recipe a fair trial, one mashed banana and half a teaspoon of cinnamon was added to the recipe.

The verdict: husband - "good muffin recipe"; children - "mmm, how many are we allowed"; mum - well I scoffed several more than I allowed the children, as they are decidedly moreish and with all those healthy ingredients, there just seemed no point in resisting. Part of the batch did last until the next day, so that I could assess their staying power - it only took me two more muffins to decide that really they keep very well, just as moist and chewy the day after baking and would probably be so the day after that too, if there were any left.

I tag any of you out there who haven't already baked these deceptively healthy muffins.

5 comments:

  1. I have been craving good muffins! Kismet! :) I love oatmeal anything too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I add my voice to Kit's. Make these gorgeous muffins, you will be so pleased you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS Today I tried them with lime zest and coconut! Totally delicious. Even my non-cake-eating husband likes them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kit, lots of people are searching the web for yogurt oatmeal muffins if I can go by my blog stats - there must be hundreds of batches of them around the world now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm. I am a huge fan of muffins - must give these a whirl. Seeing as I missed out totalyl on the "no-knead bread" craze that swept the blogs... But anyway, who wants bread when you can have muffins!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments - I appreciate every one!