Friday, August 10, 2007

Flower Pictures


I've been taking a trip down memory lane, re-sizing all my flower pictures for our stock photography library at A Flower Gallery. Long long ago before the children were born, in the days when we still used film in our cameras, I spent a while photographing flowers in our studio, setting up shots with lighting and backgrounds, processing the transparency and having the best ones printed onto canvas. This brief flurry of creativity is now immortalised in the image galleries of A Flower Gallery and a few framed pictures adorn the walls of family and friends. I made a few sporadic attempts to get back into it after the children were born, using daylight, but small children and concentrated creative endeavour don't go well together and my flower photographer hat got put away on the shelf to gather dust.

My digital camera has liberated the creativity again recently, but set up studio shots still elude me. I take a more immediate gratification, instant capture approach and, with digital not costing a thing, can experiment more. I still feel an affection for my cornflower shot above though, product of days when a couple of hours playing around with a single shot was not only possible, it was called work!

3 comments:

  1. Those photos are all beautiful. That must have been a very enjoyable job - though raising children and baking milk tarts is soul satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breathtaking! If I were doing a coffee table book on "prairie" flora I would hire you to photograph it. Thanks for sharing your talents with us to enjoy. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are beautiful! I'm entering a flower photography contest on 1800flowers.com, and came across your blog searching for inspiration! Just what I needed :) I love your work, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments - I appreciate every one!