Friday, September 24, 2010

Spring Festival


Life has been flitting past too fast, getting away from me, leaving me with a permanent hair-blown-back feeling. Our festivals mark the passing of the seasons and seem to swoop round ever faster. Luckily they also make me slow down and notice things: the flowers, which have passed from pure white snow carpet of white daisies to gold bronzed dusting of yellow daisies; pypies succeeded by watsonias, tall and elegant in all shades from white to salmon pink to fiery orange; the moon still waxing then and now just past full; the herb seeds germinating and showing themselves in my new herb garden; strawberries starting to ripen in the veggie garden with the promise of enough berries for strawberry jam this year.

Our spring festival is a celebration of water and flowers - flower crowns, flowered archway, flowers floating in water. The girls rushed around gathering posies to decorate the circle - bright magenta vygies, red bottlebrush, orange golden shower and pink wild pear as well as gazanias and daisies. Our son's friends only arrived late, so the usual sand and water-work constructions of engineering genius, getting ever more elaborate every year, weren't there and it was a simpler event but just as lovely as ever.






Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful! Now I want to know who everyone is... especially the handsome man with the red topknot in the checkered shirt! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud to say that he is my husband... bourganvillea top knot and all! My mother is the one teetering on the chair to decorate the archway and then three of the kids are ours (the boy and two girls in the middle of the group shot) plus a whole lot of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! It makes me miss South Africa and desire so badly to move there. You don't know me, but I follow your blog. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And so Carrie is swept from anonymity into the crowd of women longing to live in South Africa. Or at least to visit Kit's herb garden. And maybe pinch her husband...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments - I appreciate every one!