Saturday, November 04, 2006

Berries and Muffins

Kansas Rose asked for my mulberry muffin recipe...well there's no secret. I just use a blueberry muffin recipe and substitute the mulberries. Our mulberries are really sweet when fully ripe and result in muffins with delectably jammy, sweet berries in the middle, reminiscent of Summer Pudding. With tart fruit they would still be good though, just a different taste sensation. Here is the recipe that I use, but if you have a favourite muffin recipe just use that, Jenny.

Blueberry muffins
125ml Nutty Wheat flour (75g)
250ml cake flour (140g)
15ml baking powder
200ml castor sugar (170g)
3ml salt
1 egg
125ml milk
100ml oil
425g can blueberries, well drained (I've tried various berries - usually about 1 cup of raw berries)
1. Sift dry ingredients together and add bran left behind in sieve
2. Whisk egg, milk and oil together and mix into dry ingredients. Mix until flour is moistened; batter should still be lumpy. Add berries, being careful not to overmix.
3. Spoon into greased muffin tins, filling each two-thirds full. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200degrees Centigrade for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
4. Serve hot with butter.

Nutty Wheat is a South Aftrican brand of white flour mixed with bran. If you don't have the equivalent, use 1/4 cup bran and a total of 1 1/4 cups plain white flour instead.

I'm being summoned to join the family now, so can't get onto the merits of Summer Pudding and 101 wonderful ways of using mulberries, as I am tempted to do...NaBloPoMo is going to get me in trouble for spending too much time in front of the computer, I can see!

3 comments:

  1. Can you believe the crazy Hungarians refuse to eat muffins hot! Is that not sacrilege?
    Butter dripping down your chin, oh-la-la...guess I know what's on tomorrow's agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this Kit! I will try adding wheat bran or "germ" to my regular organic wheat flour...I like germ in baking because it adds needed fiber and a nice "malty" taste. I may have asked this but not sure what castor sugar is...is this raw...unrefined sugar or molasses like brown sugar? Our mulberries are quite tart but I like that bite in a muffin too. They have a lot of seeds too...They grow wild here and stain the concrete and cars when they drop from the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Castor sugar is a white sugar with a finer grain than the normal granulated white though normal white sugar is fine too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments - I appreciate every one!