Saturday, November 11, 2006

La Meme Chose

Following Jen at Coasting Richly and Charlotte at Charlotte's Web, I am abandoning any idea of writing scintillating prose and succumbing to the lures of the meme.

1. Explain what ended your last relationship
He sensibly realised that we were both just filling in time till we met our real soul mates. I met my husband later that same year.

2. When was the last time you shaved?
This morning. It's a summery Saturday, my official day for washing my hair and using up all the hot water for my shower. There isn't enough time in the week, as I'm not one to get up early in order to attend to my appearance. Our hot water tank wouldn't stand for it either and my husband doesn't like cold showers!

3. What were you doing at 8am today?
Laying the table for breakfast, after having read everyone's blogs. I woke up early, which was annoying as on Saturdays we can lie in bed late till eight o'clock, while the children stew their brains on Animal Planet and Disney DVDs.

4. What were you doing 15 minutes ago?
Resizing the school photos that I took on Thursday and learning more than I ever thought I'd need to know about Fireworks.

5. Are you any good at maths?
Afraid so, or at least I used to be. I chose it as an A'level subject, cos I thought it'd be a doddle and was slightly peeved to find I had to work at it to get through my exams without disgracing myself. Now I don't do any Maths stuff but I'm fine around numbers.

6. Your prom night?
We didn't really have one, unless you count the Leavers Dance which as far as I remember was a non-event. There wasn't any of the glamourous date or dress wow factor.

7. Do you have any famous ancestors?
No. I do remember thinking for a long time that I had a great grandfather who was a butler, which I thought was quite fun. Then it turned out his surname was Butler - nothing like as interesting!

8. Did you have to take out a loan for university?
I was one of the last generation in England who still automatically got grants and tuition fees paid regardless of parental circumstances. Mine was the minimum grant, which meant my father had to provide more for living expenses, but I emerged debt free for which I am suitable grateful.

9. Do you know the words to the song on your Myspace profile?
Do I have one?

10. Last thing received in the mail?
Tax statement

11. What beverages have you had today?
Rooibos tea x 4

12. Do you leave messages on people’s answering machines.
Usually, unless I suddenly turn blank and can't think what to say.

13. Whom did you lose your CONCERT virginity to?
Can't remember if it was Brian Adams or Motorhead. I only ever used to go with my younger brother, so it reflects his taste rather than mine!

14. Do you draw your name in the sand when you go to the beach?
Yes. And the children's and play hangman and doodle patterns.

15. What is the most painful dental procedure you have ever had?
I'm fairly lucky in that my wisdom teeth came through late and turned out to be pathetic undersized specimens. It was OK under local anaesthetic.

16. What is out your back door?
A ficus, struggling, because the patch of earth at the back of the house doesn't seem to be a good place for trees.

17. Any plans for Friday night?
Friday night is DVD night with my sister-in-law. Yesterday she got out 'The Lake House' which we hadn't heard about but was great. Complicated time dislocation plot, romance, well acted and it keeps your brain engaged with the intricacies of the plot.

18. Do you like what the ocean does to your hair?
Not really. I didn't grow up with sea, salt and sun, rather earth, wind and rain. I have long hair and it gets tangled and sticky. What a wuss I am!

19. Have you ever received one of those big tins with three different kinds of popcorn?
Don't even know what they are.

20. Have you ever been to a planetarium?
Nope. There is one in Cape Town and I'll take the kids one day.

21. Do you re-use towels after you shower?
I'm also amazed that anyone doesn't - unless it is asking if I use them to mop the floor or fashion them into a fetching turban, both of which sometimes.

22. Some things you are excited about
I'm going on a numerology workshop tomorrow, a surprise early Christmas present from my sister-in-law. Excited to be stretching my brain in new directions after all these years of pure motherhood. Also excited about writing so much, for my blog, articles etc. It seems the brain likes the exercise.

23. Your favourite Jello flavour
I quite like the stripey jellies I make for Christmas, purely for the nostalgia element. It just tastes Christmassey to me.

24. Describe your key chain
I just use the standard- issue beeper thing that operates the car alarm. It is quite satisfyingly ergonomic though.

25. Where do you keep your change?
Useful silver in my wallet. Those annoying 5c go into a bowl with a candle in it. It's supposed to show the Universe that we're taking care off the pennies and would like the pounds to take care of themselves. I hope it will start taking effect soon!

26. What winter coat do you own?
A dark blue wool duffel coat that was a hand-me-down from the friend of a friend in London years ago. Winter here isn't so cold that I wear one out often enough to replace it and it is warm and comfortable.

27. What was the weather like on your graduation day?
Can't really remember - I think blustery but dry.

28. Do you sleep with your bedroom door open or closed?
Open for the same reasons as Charlotte, otherwise we'd have to get up every five minutes for the dogs, cats and even the children.

1 comment:

  1. Your meme proves that what I "think," about you when reading your blog is every bit true, I wish we lived closer, we could be true rooibos friends!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments - I appreciate every one!