Friday, December 28, 2007

Puddings in a Hot Climate

Our Christmas Day feast has to end in far too big a choice of puddings! Summer pudding has become our traditional pudding for Christmas, made with our own berries, frozen specially so we have some left for the big day. And stripey jellies have become an essential component of the pudding spectrum - I have to start at least a day before to have time to build up all the layers and take great pains to get random colour combinations, so that each one is different! A real Christmas pudding always appears, but is usually barely nibbled at on the day, leaving me with a big bowl of brandy butter to find a use for. Has anyone got a clever way of using up brandy butter, once the Christmas pudding is finished? I'd love some ideas ..besides just eating it with a spoon on surreptitious visits to the fridge!

7 comments:

  1. Darn. That was going to be my suggestion...eating it with a spoon! It all looks so good, thanks for sharing the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what brandy butter is, but I am pretty sure eating it with a spoon sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If brandy butter is anything like this recipe, then I would use it as a topping for a cake, muffins, cookies...

    The recipe suggests using it to top raisin toast, which sounds delish to me! And one of the comments said the person piped the butter into rosettes on parchment paper and froze for presentation--perhaps you can pipe and freeze for future use on cakes/cookies/whatever?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all those great suggestions, Mrs W - now I just have to decide which one to try!

    Meredith, our brandy butter is teh traditional thing to dollop on Christmas pudding, as if it wasn't already rich enough! It's just butter mixed with caster sugar until it tastes sweet not buttery, then several tablespoons of brandy mixed in! You have to judge the amount just right, too much and the brandy separates out again, not enough and you get complaints from the alkies in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were away and just enjoyed our plum pudding and brandy butter last night. You can always use the leftover brandy butter as a quick icing for a carrot or spice cake :)

    Happy 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kit, I love your rainbow jellies. Dakota hates Jelly, as do I but my sister and nephew are jelly fiends. I am sending a note to them to check out your rainbows which I feel sure each have their own pot of gold.

    PS> why not use up the brandy butter with hot cinnamon pancakes or drop scones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I love those jewel-like jellies! No inspiration on the brandy butter front... I'd just eat it straight from the bowl with a spoon... My secret is out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments - I appreciate every one!