Monday, June 12, 2006

Gnomes in the Family

I thought I’d share these little gnomes with you, that my daughters made in kindergarten. Gum nuts, or the seed pod of the eucalyptus tree to be more scientific, make up the bodies of these gnomes, wooden beads for heads, a bit of sheep’s wool for hair and felt hats, sewn by the children. My youngest hasn’t got to grips with sewing so her gnome is bareheaded – I hope he gets through the winter!

Does anyone know where the tradition of gnomes in pointy hats comes from? I didn’t grow up with them at all in the UK, unless you count Big Ears in the Noddy stories, but they seem to be big in Waldorf schools and kindergartens for the younger children. Perhaps it’s a German/North European tradition?

The gnomes in the picure seem to me to be having a serious discussion, but this was the best I could come up with:

Caption: "We really must get junior a hat this winter"

If anyone has any better ideas do let me know!

Anyway the girls are enjoying their gnome family, which is growing apace. They brought back three more each on Friday, this time in felt cloaks, stuffed with wool instead of the gum nuts, so there are Mummys, Daddys, Aunts, Uncles, Granny, Grandpa and children gnomes cavorting merrily around our house at the moment!

3 comments:

  1. Yay, the gum nuts, now I get to see what they look like.

    I don't know the origin of gnomes but this looks like a fun project.

    Garden trolls are popular here, I may make one with the girls.

    BTW, I am getting e-mails refusing my comments. I hope this one goes through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Your children have quite a family of them started. Will they be making little houses for them? Ha! I just realized the first 4 letters of word verification here spells fart.;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking of you when I posted the photo Meredith.
    They haven't started on houses for the gnomes yet, Jenny, unless the collection of containers all over the sitting room is intended for that...no i think that is an animal zoo..but they have built a whole series of houses outside for the fairies, on what was the lawn, now a series of tufts of grass in between which there is plenty of sand to dig and build.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments - I appreciate every one!